Sunday, March 05, 2006

Sigil

I have been continuing to read the book Wicca for Life in which Raymond Buckland discusses the use of sigils. I wasn't familiar with their use and was moderately interested. I found it interesting that the author is quite against ceremonial magick (of the grimoire, conjuring demons kind) since work with sigils reminded me of magick of this sort. For this reason, I looked up sigils on the web to see if sigil use is more related to ceremonial magick or "nature magick". (The two are not hard-and-fast separated, and many practitioners use elements of both. I am more inclined to nature magick.) In the process I sort of accidentally learned more about the use of sigils.

That night, I was exhausted so I went to bed around 9:30pm for a "nap," which turned into the whole night. For several hours I slept fitfully, waking often, and every time I woke I had the word "sigil" in my head, at fever pitch. Finally, after the fifth or sixth time, I said to myself, "All right, I will make a sigil." I slept soundly after that.

So today, I will work on my sigil. I am going to do both a diagramatic one as outlined in the book, and a anagram-style one. It will be about my work situation.

As long as I am open to listening, the gods/my subconscious will tell me what I need to do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, So did u make the sigil? And did it work? I would love to know how it went. I'm interested in making sigils myself but I donno if theyy really work or not.
Lala

3:59 PM  
Blogger --- said...

Hi there Lala! It's nice to hear from someone who has been reading.

I did make my sigil and I think it did work.

(Please note I am breaking some of the sigil "rules' here. Most people say you should make a sigil and then forget why you made it. That way, the sigil has a chance to work on your subconcious without your conscious mind hampering it. But, I think my sigil has worked anyway, so I don't mind bending the "rules" a bit.)

My sigil was made to prevent an event from happening. It hasn't happened yet, and it should have by now if it was going to. It is official, quasi-legal stuff I won't go into here. I still have the sigil, and will keep it until I know for sure that what I hope has happened has indeed taken place, at which point I will burn it, giving thanks to the Goddess and the God.

So I think it did work. I found it a technique that gave me a lot of focus and clarity as well. You should definitely try it.

For Lala and all other readers: feel free to post thoughts on what I post, questions you want to pose to me or other readers, or any magickal or pagan worship work you wish to discuss. I would love to see this blog become a place for pagan discussion, partiularly between those who practice on their own.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear thriceraven,
I am always searching for new occult disciplines to learn about and recently found chaos/sigil magick, I haven't tried one yet, other than an example in my personal grimoire so I wouldn't forget how, for lack of a good motive.I googled “book of shadows sigils” to see if anyone else has an interest in it. Clearly you are good at practicing magick, and I respect that. So many people claim to know what they're doing, when they only read from one source. It's very sad. But when I hear of someone who is an avid arcane reader, I feel all warm and fuzzy, hope that sigil works out for you. good luck.
Sincerely, iceblink.

7:53 PM  
Blogger --- said...

Greetings iceblink!

Thanks for the comment. As you can see, this is an old post and I am not very active in this blog right now, though I hope to come back to it soon.

As a follow up, the sigil I made and the purpose I made it for are just now coming to full fruition in my life. Next month, spirits willing, I will attain a goal I have been seeking for a long time. I plan on burning the sigil I made so long ago when it comes to pass.

I guess it just goes to show that sometimes magic takes the long view. Successful magic, just like successful life I suppose, requires a balance between steadfast adherence to intention and the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstance. Sometimes seeds we plant and spells we cast can have effects relatively far into our futures. I suppose that's why it's important to choose our intentions wisely.

-Thriceraven

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home