Monday, May 14, 2007

May Full Moon

A few weeks ago, my family member A asked me for advice on a ritual she wanted to write. She is a devout, if conflicted, Christian and so isn't used to writing rituals for herself, although she has a great facility for prayer. She was working on some personal issues with her choices and the role her upbringing has played in those choices. I told her what I could and that she should let me know if there was anything else I could do.

A couple weeks later, she emailed me her ritual. It was beautifully written and full of meaning. She also asked if I would attend as her witness. I was honoured.

I started an email back to her, telling her how much I liked her ritual and that I would be happy to be a part of it. I also had some suggestions. I started in, and went on for pages and pages, about setting up a mindset with which to create ritual space, preparing oneself for ritual and about treatment of ritual objects. I had no idea how much experience I had amassed in the art of accomplishing ritual, just by practicing and making mistakes and reading and trying again. She told me my suggestions were enormously helpful.

A few days later, on the full moon, another friend E asked me to do a ritual with her to alleviate what she considers to be a curse upon her life. I talked to her about what she wanted, and she said she was no good at writing ritual. I told her I could write it for her if she wanted.

Suddenly, people I care about very much were coming to me for spiritual guidance. I have no formal training in this area. My faith and practice as a witch, with very few exceptions, had only ever really been for myself before. Not only that, I have no ritual space and haven't cast a circle in a very long time. I felt honoured but ill equipped to help my friends with their life-altering spiritual problems.

The rituals both occurred last weekend. A's went very well indeed -- it felt powerful and good. E's went well as well, but since I wrote it for her I don't know if it was what she needed or not. Only time will tell I suppose.

These experiences have made it seem more important to find a space for ritual for myself. It would be wonderul for my own spiritual health and practice, and I would be in practice if asked for my expertise again. I just don't know where I am going to do it.

-Thriceraven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home