Thursday, August 16, 2007

Midsummer's Eve

My household has experienced an unpredendented winter and spring of sickness. We are normally healthy people, but I have been to the emergency room twice for my husband and once for my son recently. Z has also made a couple of trips, and we all seem to be constantly sick. I decided it was time to do something.

Recently, H offered me some peppermint out of her garden. It was running wild, and I was happy to take it. I haven't worked with herbs in so long, and it felt so good to glean the leaves from the stems and dry it on my windowsill. The work felt good in my hands.

So this batch of peppermint is the only herb in my house right now that I have gathered and prepared myself. It seemed fitting that I used it for my ritual. Also, peppermint has always seemed a health tonic to me -- it is my herbal tea of choice most days and seems to me to aid in digestion and a sunny outlook on the world.

My ritual was very simple. I made a pot of peppermint tea, with all of the healthy visions I could muster, and asked my whole family to drink some. S had a cup, L had sips, and I gave Z a medicine dropper full. All of the adults drank and I poured some in the dog water bowl, though I did spare the fish.

Here's hoping it will work,
-Thriceraven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home