Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February Full Moon

This full moon, there was a beautiful full lunar eclipse. The night sky was clear, and we always have a beautiful view of the moon from our south-facing house. We all went out several times to watch the eclipse progress and let S stay up a bit late to see it begin. It was bitterly cold, so we never stayed out long.

In the early stages of the eclipse I did searches on the 'net to find out the symbolism of lunar eclipses. Practically everything I found was negative. One can understand why. As I watched the eclipse take hold, I imagined how frightening it must have been for ancient people -- their predictable and constant friend, the moon, being consumed in a most aggressive way. I can imagine the panic that might take hold, with people pointing it out to one another with fear. I also imagine an elderly man or woman of the tribe quelling the fear, saying they have seen this before, and assuring their kin that the moon would return later that night.

But from a personal standpoint, I reject the evil connatations of lunar eclipses -- I find them facsinating and beautiful. I found other references to eclipses fortelling large changes in the world, but this didn't really speak to me either.

When the eclipse was about ten minutes shy of complete, all of the adult members of my household bundled up and went outside to watch it end. As the moon disappeared, I poured a libation of red wine on the ground to the Goddess in all of her varied forms. All of us then drank from the cup before I offerred the rest to the Goddess.

-Thriceraven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home