Thursday, June 22, 2006

Midsummer's Eve

Midsummer's Eve is considered a good time to consecrate objects and to put protective spells on houses. Our home renovations are finally approaching a place where it feels more like a home rather than a construction site, so I thought this would be a good time to do some magickal work around the house.

I started at the front door and sprinkled salted water up the steps of our porch. I sat on the porch and talked and thought about all of the people and pets who live in our house, mediatating on each of them in turn. I talked about how this is the door through which our family and friends enter, and that I hoped they found it a haven.

I also took a moment to welcome any "little people" who might decide to call our house home. I told them they are welcome to our food and drink, and we most humbly hope they find everything to their liking. (It isn't a good idea to offend them!)

I walked from room to room in the house, sprinkling salt water at every window and door to the outside. I thought about what each room was used for and about my favourite memories in it. And I thought about what that room means to our family and guests and what I hoped they would find there.

In the living room I concentrated on relaxation. In the dining room, I thought about good company and good friends, and a plentiful table.

In the kitchen, I thought about good food, both in terms of health (for which I spoke to the goddess as Demeter) as well as Dionysian-style enjoyment of food and drink amd meditated on striking a balance between the two. I also thought about our problems lately with bugs and mice, and asked for help in making this place unpleasant for them.

(An aside here: In the couple of days since the ritual I have seen many more bugs around the house. I killed an earwig yesterday and a couple of spiders and others in the family have been noticing them as well. Either this part of the ritual completely backfired, or the creeepy-crawlies are coming out of their hiding places because they are feeling uncomfortable in our house and will eventually leave. I guess we'll see.)

In the office in the basement I thought about both relaxation and concentration for getting work done. I also asked the place be guarded against loneliness, since it can be a rather lonely room.

In the bathroom I thought about cleanliness and health. In each bedroom a child sleeps in, I put a protective sprinkling of salted water around their beds, and asked for protection for them while they sleep. In the adult bedrooms I meditated on comfort, healthy sexuality and relationsips, and sleep.

After I was finsished, the house already felt nicer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home