Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lammas

A couple days ago was Lammas -- the festival of First Fruits. It is a celebration of the Goddess as Mother and concerns Nature it all Her productivity.

Rather than a ritual, I spent the day meditating any moment I got. My work has been worrisome and difficult lately, and I haven't been enjoying it as much as I should. I concentrated on the idea of productivity, and envisioned each experiment bringing me more and more knowledge, ever on an upward path toward my goals. I envisioned tending my work with the sort of care and love I use to tend my son. I soothed my self with thoughts of confidence -- I am able to do this, my work will be valid and sound, I am worthy to be doing this work, even unexpected results provide knowledge.

Another note: Yesterday, I was waiting for a shop to open -- it had one of those "Be right back" signs in the window and I needed to pick something up there. I wandered the neighbourhood a bit and ended up in the library around the corner. I surfed the non-fiction section and found myself pulling on of Starhawk's books off the shelf in the Religion section. Starhawk is a feminist Wirch who has written some very useful works. I only read a page or two -- I don't even remember the title -- but it made me reflect on her name. I thought about how it must be her Wiccan name, and that made me think about my own -- Thriceraven. As I heard the word in my mind, I felt a huge sense of power behind it -- welling up inside me, bigger than I am.

Many thing came to me out of this experience. Perhaps the most important was that this feeling of power came during a random moment I hadn't scheduled -- an accidental quiet time I didn't plan to have. It made me remember that magick so often happens in these sorts of moments, and if I don't make a point of having these sort of quiet times in my life, I will not be privy to magick.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my fellow
If your orkut is correct, it's your birthday.
If my memory is also correct, you're making 20.
So, I leave you a very pressed warm hug.
See ya

12:01 AM  
Blogger --- said...

Greetings!

I'm afraid you have the wrong person! I don't have a profile on orkut, and I am turning 29 this year.

Is there someone else out in cyberspace that has my wonderful name?

Welcome to my blog anyway!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sorry I broke your intimacy. But I thank your welcome.
Its an odd coincidence. A few years ago, a friend of mine kept a blog on this very URL. We are from Brazil, but sometimes he wrote in english. When I noticed that you was not him I checked your archives and I saw your first post.
He was an Wiccan practicer also, and we talked about this a few times. We almost lost contact by now. I don't know his magical name, I used to call him Nazgul, resembling the Lord of the Rings
Well, I'll visit you more times. i think here is interesting.
bye

2:41 PM  
Blogger --- said...

No worries about broken intimacy... welcome.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home